KOYASAN BUDDHIST TEMPLE
342 East 1st
Phone: (213) 624 − 1267
Fax: (213) 625 − 2197
Download: Temple Brochure
Sponsored by ASA and
The Temple is opened daily to visitors from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; however, closed during the time of private services and meetings. Appointments can be made by calling the office. A head priest (Shukan) and associate ministers serve and administer the Shingon Buddhist mission at the Temple. In addition, staff members oversee the management and operations of the Temple. The ministers and staff welcome visitors in both Japanese and English.
The Temple building consists of a main hall containing a grand scale altar where traditional esoteric rituals are performed. The altar contains many decorative objects of Buddhist symbols such as the twin mandalas, scrolls, and banners. Japanese art and religious objects such as stone lanterns and statues are displayed by the entryway of the building. A Nokotsudo shrine (columbarium) is located in the main hall.
The Temple provides services and education to its members and community. In addition to the traditional services and rites, the Temple holds funerals, memorials, gokito, blessings, and weddings. Omamori (amulets), ofuda (talismans), omikuji (fortunes), ojuzu (rosaries) and hamaya (lucky arrows) are available. Financial and spiritual contributions from members, friends and the public support the Temple's mission and activities.
TEACHING OF SHINGON ESOTERIC BUDDHISM
The Temple was elevated to the status of Koyasan Beikoku Betsuin and authorized by the Koyasan Headquarters of Japan in 1935. In keeping abreast with the growth of the Daishi Mission, a new temple was constructed at the present site, 342 E. 1st Street, under the leadership of Bishop Seytsu Takahashi in 1940. With the breakout of war in 1942, the Temple was closed. All Daishi members were incarcerated and relocated to Japanese internment camps in the U.S. for more than three years. The Temple mission restarted with Issei and Nissei Daishi members returning from the camps in 1946.
The Temple expanded with the Harbor City Koyasan Church being founded in 1951 under the direction of Rev. Ryosho Sogabe. From the 1950s to 1980s, the local Japanese communites and groups weekly used the main hall of the Temple for various performances of Japanese cultural programs.
On November 18, 2012, the 100th annivesary was celebrated under the direction of Bishop Emeritus Taisen Miyata and officated by Bishop Ekan Ikeguchi, Maha Acharya of Koyasan Shingon Mission, with attending ministers from Japan.